Strengthen Your Legs with These 8 Dumbbell Exercises
As far as workout equipment goes, the fitness industry features multiple options you can use to maximise the effectiveness of your workout. Each type of equipment targets different parts of your body, but if increasing muscle strength is one of your main goals, dumbbell exercises are second best to none. Not only do dumbbell exercises increase muscle strength, but they also improve coordination, identify and rectify muscle imbalances, etc. Since leg strength is important to increase overall body strength, here are eight dumbbell exercises that increase it:
1. Lunge: Stand straight with a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing your thigh. Let your arms hang straight down and take a step forward by bending your leg at the knee. Your thigh should be parallel to the ground while the back leg is balanced on the toes. Gently get back to your beginning position and repeat this.
2. Sumo Squat: Grab one heavy dumbbell in a vertical position with both hands. Stand with your feet wide apart, let your dumbbell hang between your feet and lower your body at the knees and hips, so your thighs are parallel to the ground. Exhale as you resume your starting position and repeat.
3. Side Lunge: Hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand straight. Take a step towards the side and bend that leg at the knee while your other leg remains straight. Hold your dumbbells between your legs, exhale as you straighten your body.
4. Stiff-Legged Deadlift: Stand completely straight with dumbbells in your hands. Make sure your back is straight with stretched out hamstrings. Bend your body forward at the waist and allow the weight of the dumbbells to lower it. Hold and push your shoulders back to straighten your body. Do this with controlled precision.
5. Calf Raise: Holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms at your sides, stand straight. Place the balls of your feet on an elevated platform and exhale as you lift your heels to support your body on the toes. Lower gently and repeat this a few times.
6. Weighted Hip Bridge: Lie down on your back with your knees bent, and feet planted firmly on the floor. Place a weighted dumbbell on your hips and hold it with your hands. Now, lift your hips off the floor and push it upwards till your thighs are parallel to the floor. Exhale as you lower your hips gently.
7. Dumbbell Swing: Stand with your feet more than shoulder-width apart with a dumbbell in your hands, similar to the sumo squat starting position. Bend your knees slightly, push your hips behind and swing the dumbbell backwards, between your legs. Now, swing it back forwards to your chest level.
8. Dumbbell Burpee: Begin in the pushup position with a dumbbell in each hand. Lower your body into a pushup, then kick your feet forwards and stand straight up. Lift the dumbbells straight over your head and repeat.
These dumbbell exercises will activate muscle fibres in your legs and strengthen them, giving you both short term and long term benefits. Seek professional guidance from the cult.fit’s dumbbell exercises pack curated to suit your fitness needs.